Wednesday, August 10, 2011

More Stuff I Learned

The emergency department (and life in general) has kept me really busy lately, but here's some stuff I learned recently:
1. Syphilis can be painful, despite medical school teaching that it isn't (luckily, I didn't learn this from personal experience!) Chancroid and lymphogranuloma venerum are the two leading differentials for painful genital ulcers, but both are unusual in the United States.
2. Appendicitis has a largely heritable component. Courtney asked me in conversation why some people get appendicitis and others don't. Lit review shows that about 50% of the variability is explained by genetic factors. Who knew?
3. Although MRSA is not a major player in causing otitis, it should be covered when treating mastoiditis


In other news, I found out that I'd been knitting in the round WRONG for the last 10 years. Apparently, you hold the needles close to you and the cables away from you!

No comments: